Welcome to Sports Hub’s Premier League Matchweek 16 review. With many teams coming off a run of three games in the space of seven days, there is no shortage of EPL talking points to discuss.
Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur finally returned to winning ways, while Aston Villa defeated Arsenal to achieve a 15th successive home league victory. Elsewhere, Liverpool secured a comeback win against Crystal Palace to move to the summit of the table.
Our Premier League Matchweek 16 review covers all the bases. From news and results to betting trends and player stats, we leave no stone unturned.
Matchweek 16 Premier League Results
It only makes sense to begin our Premier League Matchweek 16 review by looking at the weekend’s results, right? As expected, Matchweek 16 dished up plenty of drama, including shock results, controversial decisions and incredible goals.
- Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool
- Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Nottingham Forest
- Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 Burnley
- Sheffield United 1-0 Brentford
- Manchester United 0-3 Bournemouth
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal
- Luton Town 1-2 Manchester City
- Fulham 5-0 West Ham United
- Everton 2-0 Chelsea
- Tottenham Hotspur 4-1 Newcastle United
Liverpool came from behind to claim all three points against Crystal Palace, while Bournemouth humiliated Manchester United at Old Trafford. In Saturday’s late kick-off, Aston Villa made it 15 home league wins on the spin with a 1-0 victory over Arsenal.
Sunday’s action continued in the same manner, as Man City was forced to come from behind to beat Luton. Following impressive victories for Fulham and Everton, Spurs dominated Newcastle to end their winless run on home soil.
Premier League Matchweek 16 Review – Betting Trends
This section of our Premier League Matchweek 16 review highlights all the key betting trends after another weekend of memorable action.
When Liverpool came from behind to defeat Crystal Palace in the early kick-off, it set the tone for the weekend. After that, Sheffield United, Bournemouth, Aston Villa and Everton all upset the odds over the course of the weekend.
Without further ado, let’s dive into the fun part of our Premier League Matchweek 16 review. If you enjoy betting on the EPL or want to take your game to the next level, this section is for you.
Basic Premier League Betting Trends
Aston Villa, Liverpool and Everton extended their respective hot streaks during Matchweek 16, while Man City, Tottenham and Nottingham Forest ended their negative runs. Still, Liverpool remains at the summit of the table.
- Aston Villa have now won 15 consecutive home league games
- Liverpool extended their unbeaten run to nine matches
- Tottenham ended a five-game winless streak
- Man City ended a four-match winless run
- Nottm Forest ended a four-game losing streak
- Everton secured a third successive victory
- Sheff Utd picked up their second win of the season
- Liverpool is the only team with a single defeat this term
- Sheff Utd and Burnley have both suffered 12 defeats in 16 outings
Having suffered a solitary defeat in 16 games this season, Jurgen Klopp’s men find themselves atop the standings. At the opposite end, Sheff Utd and Burnley remain in the bottom two after each suffering 12 defeats since gaining promotion.
Premier League Matchweek 16 Review – Goal Trends
In comparison with recent rounds, Matchweek 16 was not a high-scoring round. That said, two clashes produced over 4.5 goals, with Fulham netting five goals for the second successive game.
- Both teams scored in five of the 10 Matchweek 16 clashes
- Five matches produced over 2.5 goals
- Two games dished up over 4.5 goals
- Five teams kept a clean sheet during Matchweek 16
- Fulham scored five goals for the second game running
- The BTTS bet has landed in each of Brighton’s last 20 league games
- Man City (38) is the highest-scoring team in the Premier League
- Sheff Utd (12) is the lowest-scoring team in the division
- Liverpool (15) and Arsenal (15) have conceded the fewest goals
- Sheff Utd (41) possess the worst defensive record
Brighton’s extraordinary BTTS run stretched to 20 consecutive Premier League matches following a 1-1 draw with Burnley. Unfortunately for the Blades, they still possess the worst offensive record and the worst defensive record in the division.
Player Stats – Premier League Matchweek 16 Review
Our Premier League Matchweek 16 review would not be complete without a look at the latest EPL player stats. Erling Haaland missed the game against Luton due to injury, but he still finds himself at the summit of the scoring charts.
- Son Heung-min bagged two goals and one assist against Newcastle
- Richarlison also netted a double on Sunday
- Mohamed Salah scored and assisted against Crystal Palace
- Erling Haaland (14) is still the division’s leading goalscorer
- Pedro Neto, Kieran Trippier and Salah each have seven assists
- Lewis Dunk (1,384) had completed the most passes this season
- Trippier (1,604) has registered the most touches
- Haaland (58) has racked up the most shots in the league
- Joao Palhinha (72) has completed the most tackles this season
- West Foderingham (77) has made the most saves
- Sam Johnstone, Bernd Leno, Andre Onana, Jordan Pickford and Nick Pope have each kept five clean sheets
If you’re someone who likes betting on tackles, it is worth noting that Fulham’s Joao Palhinha has racked up 72 tackles in 13 league appearances this season – 25 more than Tottenham’s Yves Bissouma – meaning he averages 5.5 tackles per game.
Wrapping Up Our Premier League Matchweek 16 Review
The direction of the Premier League title race became even less clear during Matchweek 16. With the top four teams – Liverpool (37), Arsenal (36), Aston Villa (35) and Man City (33) – separated by just four points, who knows where the trophy is heading?
The festive EPL calendar serves up four rounds of fixtures between now and the end of the year, presenting tons of betting opportunities. By the time 2024 rolls around, the table should look very different.
That concludes our Premier League Matchweek 16 review. If you’re looking for more expert EPL predictions, picks, tips and betting advice, be sure to stick with Sports Hub.