No. 23 Oklahoma has little trouble knocking off Kansas St.


Jalon Moore netted a career-high 23 points to propel No. 23 Oklahoma past Kansas State 73-53 on Tuesday in Manhattan, Kan.

Moore finished 8-for-11 from the field and added nine rebounds while Javian McCollum supplied 21 points and Sam Godwin paired 11 points with seven boards for the Sooners (16-5, 4-4 Big 12), who never trailed en route to snapping a two-game losing streak.

Tylor Perry tallied 23 points as the lone double-digit scorer for the Wildcats (14-7, 4-4), who shot 30.2 percent from the field and went 4-for-28 (14.3 percent) from 3-point range. David N’Guessan scored nine points, while Cam Carter, who entered Tuesday leading Kansas State with 16.3 points per game, was held to five on 2-of-12 shooting.

Oklahoma outscored the Wildcats 40-18 in the paint and held a 19-7 edge in points off turnovers.

Kansas State came out lifeless on offense for the second straight game, missing its first 11 shots en route to a 6-of-26 effort from the field (23.1 percent) that left the Wildcats trailing 35-19 at halftime.

After needing almost six minutes to score their first points at No. 4 Houston on Saturday, the Wildcats went scoreless through the game’s first 8:11 on Tuesday before N’Guessan’s free throw halted the Sooners’ 8-0 run to begin the contest.

N’Guessan supplied the Wildcats’ first field goal with a one-handed touch shot that made it 12-3 at the 10:30 mark.

The Sooners overcame a 3-of-12 start from the field by making 8 of 10 shots at one point to widen their lead to 28-11 with 2:59 left until halftime.

Moore led all first-half scorers with 15 points for Oklahoma, which shot 50 percent overall in the opening period.

The second half began with another lengthy field-goal drought, this time from the Sooners, who missed their first nine shots after halftime. Perry kept the Wildcats afloat with a pair of early treys.

Oklahoma maintained its double-digit lead by making eight free throws before Rivaldo Soares delivered the Sooners’ first field goal of the half to push the advantage to 45-32 with 13:27 to play.

Perry cut Kansas State’s deficit to single digits with an and-one and added another free throw to pull his team within 51-44 with 8:28 remaining, but the Wildcats’ offense quickly fizzled out once again.

Kansas State went the next five-plus minutes without a field goal as the Sooners regained their stroke and pulled away late.