Kansas State escapes with OT win over WVU


Tylor Perry scored 29 points to help Kansas State top West Virginia 94-90 in overtime on Monday in Manhattan, Kan.

The Wildcats blew a 25-point, second-half lead before recovering in the extra session.

Kansas State (17-11, 7-8 Big 12) improved to 7-0 this season in overtime and 12-0 in coach Jerome Tang’s two years. The Wildcats, who won their second game in a row, got 19 points from Cam Carter and 13 each from Will McNair Jr. and Arthur Kaluma. David N’Guessan contributed eight points and 10 rebounds.

West Virginia (9-19, 4-11) fell to 0-11 away from Morgantown, W.Va., this season, including 0-8 in true road games. RaeQuan Battle had 28 points and Kerr Kriisa put up 25 points and six assists for the Mountaineers. They each scored 18 second-half points.

Perry hit a 3-pointer to give Kansas State a two-point lead just over one minute into overtime. After Kaluma increased the margin to 87-81 with 1:59 to go, Battle hit a 3-pointer to cut the lead in half. Patrick Suemnick then cut it to 87-85 by making 1 of 2 at the foul line, but Perry extended the gap with a driving layup with 50 seconds to go.

Battle hit another 3-pointer to make it 89-88 with 35 seconds left. Perry sank two free throws with 15.4 seconds remaining for a three-point edge. Kriisa hit a pair at the line three seconds later, but Perry was fouled again with 8.8 seconds left and he hit both to make it 93-90.

Carter then hit a free throw with 4.1 seconds remaining to ice it.

A 19-2 second-half run by West Virginia cut the deficit to 72-67 with five minutes left.

The Wildcats went nearly seven minutes without a field goal, and Kriisa hit a 3-pointer with 2:13 left to put the Mountaineers up 77-74, their first lead since 11-10.

West Virginia led 79-75 with just over a minute left, but McNair halved the difference with a layup. The Mountaineers’ Jesse Edwards missed two free throws and Kansas State grabbed the rebound with 24 seconds to go. Perry tied it with a pair of free throws with 15 seconds remaining, and Kriisa missed the last shot of regulation.

The Mountaineers closed the half on a 31-9 run.

Just about everything went right for the Wildcats in the first half. They used a 26-7 run to open a 20-point lead just before halftime and took a 48-26 lead into the locker room.