Bennedict Mathurin guides Pacers past Grizzlies

Bennedict Mathurin came off the bench to pour in a team-high 24 points as the Indiana Pacers overcame the absence of All-Star guard Tyrese Haliburton to beat the visiting Memphis Grizzlies 116-110 on Sunday in Indianapolis.

Haliburton missed his fifth straight game due to a hamstring injury, but Mathurin had no problem stepping into the spotlight, making 9 of 14 shots from the floor while also grabbing seven rebounds.

Pascal Siakam and Jalen Smith each added 19 points for Indiana, with Smith also snatching 10 boards. Andrew Nembhard finished with 16 points and nine assists.

Jaren Jackson Jr. supplied a game-high 25 points for Memphis, which was outshot 48.9 percent to 46.3 percent from the floor. Vince Williams Jr. chipped in 20 points and eight rebounds, while GG Jackson notched 18 points.

Ziaire Williams’ jumper with 4:29 to go in the third quarter pulled the Grizzlies within 76-74, but Indiana went on to score 16 of the final 24 points of the period to take a 92-82 advantage into the fourth.

Isaiah Jackson laid in a putback with 9:57 left in the game to give the Pacers a 98-87 cushion.

But John Konchar ignited a 10-0 Memphis run with three layups, making it a one-point contest with 6:18 remaining.

Indiana continued to nurse its narrow lead, though, maintaining it until Jaren Jackson Jr.’s three-point play tied the score at 107-all.

However, the Grizzlies never found a way to move ahead, and Nembhard sealed the victory with two free throws with 14.2 seconds remaining.

Jaren Jackson Jr. scored eight points and Santi Aldama had seven to lift Memphis to a 27-23 lead after 12 minutes of action.

The Grizzlies built their lead to seven early in the second quarter, but Indiana answered with a 14-0 run to go up 40-33 with 6:55 left. Mathurin accounted for seven points during the Pacers’ outburst.

Vince Williams Jr. had seven points in a span of 2:28 to help Memphis move back in front at 45-43 with 3:59 remaining.

Neither team led by more than four for the remainder of the first half, and the Grizzlies took a 53-51 edge into the break.